It is important that the highest levels of care, treatment and support are given to those suffering with mental health problems and their families.
Often problems are best resolved through discussions with the clinicians or others involved in care, escalating to a complaint if necessary and assistance may be available from various sources such as:-
Or other organisations – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines/
In cases where litigation is appropriate claims that may arise include:-
- Failure to suspect/recognize/investigate symptoms suggestive of mental illness
- Prolonged or over prescription of inappropriate medications such as Benzodiazepines
- Inadequate crisis intervention in the community
- Failure to properly assess, diagnose and treat patients admitted to hospital, whether voluntarily or compulsorily under section
- Failing to consider physical causes for psychiatric problems
- Failing to section/discharge/otherwise failing to detain patients at risk of suicide
We are well known locally for representing families at Inquests and in civil claims arising from preventable suicides.